Graveside services for Catherine “Cass” Mills, 59, who died on March 20, 2015, will be on Friday May 22, at 11 a.m. in Pennellville Cemetery, county Route 54, Pennellville, N.Y. The Rev. Jeff Hodge will officiate. Arrangements by Allanson-Glanville-Tappan Funeral Home, Phoenix, NY 13135.
Mark A. Loveland, 46, of Camillus, passed away Monday, May 4 at home. He was born in Oswego and raised in Fulton. He was a 1987 graduate of Faith Heritage School and attended Nyack College. Mark was employed by the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Department for more than 20 years before retiring in 2014. For 12 years he served as a K9 officer and 15 years as a SWAT officer, as well as being a volunteer at W.A.V.E.S. Mark was a member of Christ Community Church of the Nazarene. Surviving are his wife, Kate; children, Connor, Hannah, Ben, Ethan, Melody and Marek; step-sons, Jack and Scott; his parents, Ernest and Sandra of Fulton; brothers, Larry (Steph) of Emporium, Pa., James (Jasmine) of Victoria, Minn.; sister, Melissa (Greg) of Charlotte, N.C.; several nieces and nephews. Services were private.
A graveside service for Sandra L. Harris, 71, who passed away on Feb. 5, 2015, will be held on Friday, May 29, 2015 at 2:30 p.m. at Fairdale Cemetery in Hannibal. Arrangements are under the direction of Baker-Swan Funeral Home in Andover. Online condolences may be offered at www.baker-swan.com.
By Colin Hogan
Voters in the Fulton City School District approved a $68.6 million budget for the 2015-16 school year and re-elected two sitting board members Tuesday.
The budget, which reflects a 1.91 percent increase in spending and a 1.75 percent hike in the tax levy, passed 368-262.
With fewer than 800 votes counted Tuesday evening, Superintendent Bill Lynch said voter turnout was down compared to most years, but he was still pleased to see the public supporting all of the proposals in this year’s referendum.
“It was an okay turnout, but we usually have more votes — often around 1,000 or 1,200. We always hope for a big turnout, because then we know that we’re getting the will of the people,” Lynch said.
In addition to next year’s budget, voters also approved a proposal for two wheelchair-accessible buses and a small funding increase to the Fulton School District Public Library, which last year changed its charter to become a school district tax levy-funded entity. The bus proposal, which passed 347-179, is projected to cost no more than $160,000, and Lynch said most of that could be covered by state aid. The library will now see its tax levy funding increase from $350,000 to $357,344, with that proposal passing 366-155.
Two sitting board of education members, Tim Crandell and Daniel Pawlewicz, were re-elected after running unopposed. Crandell was re-elected with 396 votes. Pawlewicz, the board’s vice president, was re-elected with 391 votes.
“We’re very pleased with the support of the budget, the transportation proposal and that both our current board members are returning,” Lunch said. “We’re also very pleased for the library. It’s good to see they’re getting the support they need through all of the their changes.”
Voters in the Hannibal area also approved their school district’s $30.7 million budget with a count of 235-106.
The referendum also included three propositions: one for the purchase of three school buses, which passed 259-79; one to increase the maximum amount held in the district’s reserve fund, which passed 171-167; and one to establish a transportation reserve fund, which passed 189-147.
HCSD voters also elected three unopposed board members: Jessica McNeil with 227 votes, K. Michael LaFurney with 227 votes, and Marlow Cuyler with 221 votes.
Health Matters – June 2015
Click here for the online version (.pdf, 4.4 mb)
By Colin Hogan
Fulton officials approved some new plans for the former Nestlé site this week, which could include retail shops, a supermarket and a senior housing facility.
The city has divided the 24-acre primary site, which is comprised of several facilities along the corner of S. Fourth and Fay streets, into multiple parcels to be sold off for development.
Woodward said Wednesday that he has been working with a developer representing multiple potential buyers, some that can be disclosed at this time and others that can’t.
“Anyone who’s been wanting to talk to me about it and is interested in developing it I’ve been making a point to talk with, because this (getting the site restored) is very important to the city,” Woodward said.
International supermarket chain Aldi Inc. is still interested in establishing a store on a 2.17 acre parcel in the northwest corner of the site (right along the corner of S. Fourth and Fay streets), Woodward said. Aldi first expressed interest in the site about a year ago, but struggles with the property’s former owner reportedly led the company to begin considering alternative sites in Fulton. With the Nestlé property now owned by the city, Woodward said Wednesday it appears Aldi still plans to establish the store on that site.
South of that lot, along S. Fourth Street, are a 1.05-acre parcel and a 0.87-acre parcel that Woodward said are also being considered by the developer. He said the parties interested in those plots could not yet be disclosed, but noted that the parcels would be developed for retail purposes.
East of the corner, along Fay Street, is another 2.5-acre parcel that includes the building that formerly housed the Nestlé Credit Union office. Woodward said plans are in the works to develop a senior housing facility in the upper floors of that building. The bottom floor would then be leased out by the new owner, Woodward said.
In all, those parcels account for about one-third of the site. Woodward said some of the interested parties are requesting to have an option contract on the remaining portion of the site, which he said he would have to take to the Common Council for approval. Woodward also noted that there are some lots surrounding the site that were owned by Nestlé, but haven’t been foreclosed on by the city.
Across the elevated pedestrian walkway that crosses Fay Street is another former Nestlé building that Woodward said two parties have expressed interest in through a separate developer. Details on those plans are still sparse, he said.
While details on the asking prices were unavailable Wednesday, Woodward said the city is looking to recoup what it has lost in the site’s back taxes. The buyers would also be responsible for any remaining site cleanup and asbestos removal, he noted.
“We took the total tax bill that was owed on the site and said we need to get that portion of the total tax bill, and (the buyer has) to tear down the buildings and remove the asbestos,” Woodward said.
Recouping those lost taxes, having the parcels back on the tax rolls and having the new buyers take care of the demolition and asbestos removal would be “a sweet deal” for Fulton, Woodward said.
The current site plans have already been approved by Fulton’s planning commission, Woodward said, and will now be sent to the county planning commission for review.
Woodward said he’s hoping work can begin on the properties this summer.
By Colin Hogan
A short period of abnormally heavy rain Monday left several Fulton homes with flooded basements and caused at least two houses’ foundations to give way.
Officials say about two-and-a-half inches of rain fell during a 20- to 30-minute window late Monday afternoon, inundating the city’s storm drains and causing surface flooding in several areas.
“Two-and-a-half inches of rainfall in that short period of time is unheard of,” said Mayor Ron Woodward Sr. “Our system’s storm lines filled up quickly, and once they’re full, all you can do is wait until it all drains to the river.”
Heavy rain started shortly after 4 p.m., lasting only about 25 minutes, but quickly causing the storm system to back up. Several city streets, most of which were on the east side, carried pools of water spanning multiple blocks.
The brief deluge left emergency responders scrambling to keep conditions safe. Fulton police said Monday that officers were out trying to close down as many submerged roadways as they could. The fire department was also called out to several homes with flooded basements to help get water pumps set up.
“They had a hard time for about an hour-and-a-half, and then it was over. Once the system had time to catch up and drain, everything started to clear out,” Woodward said.
At least two homes’ foundations caved due to the flooding, both along Seneca Street between N. Fifth and N. Sixth streets. Fulton officials say those were the only two homes with that level of damage that were reported to the city, but there could still be others out there.
“Those were the only two, that we know of anyway, with that kind of damage, but throughout town there were still a lot of very wet cellars,” said Brace Tallents of the city’s code enforcement office.
Tallents said both houses were vacant at the time of the flooding. In one of the houses, the water “blew out the front wall” of the basement and began to cause the rear wall to do the same.
“Outside of that, there wasn’t any major structural damage (to that house),” Tallents said, “which is surprising, because things like that normally take more of the house with it.”
On Tuesday, the owner of that property was on the scene digging out the affected area. Tallents said, as of Tuesday afternoon, the city was unable to reach the owner of the second home.
“We’ve tried all of their contacts we had on file but they were either disconnected or transferred to someone else,” Tallents said.
The code enforcement office closed off both properties with emergency tape Monday.
The Fulton Municipal Building and east side fire station took in water, as well, officials said, but did not sustain any major damages.
The Fulton Medical Center also experienced flooding on its lower level, which officials say caused Northern Oswego County Health Services Inc.,(NOCHSI), a provider of primary care services in suite 600, to temporarily relocate its healthcare providers to other sites throughout the NOCHSI network, which includes Oswego, Phoenix and Mexico.
NOCHSI leases its suite space in the FMC from Oswego Health, which began clean-up operations immediately following the storm. Oswego Health officials say they and NOCHSI are working together to ensure that the suite is reopened as quickly as possible.
In the meantime, patients who have scheduled appointments at NOCHSI’s Fulton site will be contacted by phone to learn the new location of their appointments.
“We are keeping all scheduled appointments, offering patients the opportunity to travel to an alternate location to see their provider. All calls to our Fulton Health Center are being answered as usual and we are continuing to make appointments for our established patients as they call,” said Tricia Clark, NOCHSI Director of Operations.
Oswego Health officials say there was no damage to the upper level of the FMC, where Oswego Health keeps urgent care, laboratory, medical imaging and occupational health services facilities. The health system’s physical therapy department, which is located on the lower level, didn’t sustain any damage, officials said.