by Carol Thompson
The family of Carolee Sadie Ashby are hoping the U.S. Attorney’s office will give them an audience to hear their story and determine if criminal charges can be filed against the person who confessed to the hit-and-run death of the four-year-old.
Carolee’s mother, Marlene Ashby, along with family members, met with a private attorney Wednesday to learn their options.
It’s hard for the family to accept that there will be no repercussions for 63-year-old Douglas Parkhurst, who recently confessed to police to hitting Carolee on Halloween night in 1968 as she crossed South Second Street in Fulton with her sister Darlene.
The family learned that there could be an option for criminal charges through the U.S. Attorney’s office. Their lawyer discussed a possible loophole in the law, although the family said they were instructed not to speak about it.
The family is also having the laws of 1968 thoroughly researched. Police told the family that Parkhurst can only be charged with laws that were on the books at that time and that those that were are long past the statue of limitations. They are searching to determine if there were any laws in 1968 that could be applied today.
Parkhurst’s confession led police to the car that hit Carolee. It had been hidden behind a house in the Town of New Haven area, covered with brush.
At the time Carolee was hit, with no knowledge of the driver’s identity, the family paid for Carolee’s burial expenses, in part with a partial payment received from their own insurance company.
Because the case was open, the Ashby’s insurance would not pay in full.
With the case now closed, the Ashby’s may now be eligible to collect the money that the insurance company wouldn’t pay in 1968.