Tag Archives: Eleanor L. Cali

Eleanor Cali, library board president

Eleanor L. Cali of Oswego, died June 6, 2012 at home surrounded by her family after a long battle with Alzheimer’s and cancer.

She was born Aug. 24, 1939 in Baldwinsville, the eldest daughter of Robert and Cynthia (Miller) House. She was educated at 8 Notes school, a one-room school house, and Phoenix High School, which she graduated from in 1957 as valedictorian.

In 1961, she completed studies at the State University of New York at Oswego, earning a bachelor’s degree in secondary education with a major in biology. Following graduation she taught biology at Gates Chili) High School prior to moving to Oswego. Upon arriving in Oswego, she started work as a secretary at Oswego Catholic High School prior to her employment at the Oswego Hospital Laboratory, a position she retired from after 25 years of service rising to the position of County Laboratory Supervisor.

She was co-owner of Cali’s Carriage House Florist.

She married Michael A. Cali June 30, 1962. She was a communicant of Saint Mary’s Roman Catholic Church. She was a founding member of the Columbiettes, and during her years in the Oswego County Laboratory, she was a member of the Society of Clinical Pathologists.

She was predeceased by her parents and younger sister, Dorrit House.

She is survived by her husband Michael A. Cali; sons, Shawn (Gail) M. Cali of Fairfax. Va., Michael S. Cali of Oswego, and daughter, Anne C Cali of Oswego; 12 grandchildren: Brittany, Emily, Rachel and Anthony Cali of Fairfax; Va., Kate Greene of Waterbury, Conn., Michael, Amanda, Hannah and Aiden Cali of Oswego, and Bobby, Madeline and Nicholas Cali of Oswego; a brother, Leon House of Fulton; and an aunt, Cora Williamson of Fulton.

She served for many years as a member of the Oswego County Genealogy Society, including terms as president and treasurer. She was a member of the Underground Railroad Commission working in many capacities, including conducting research and publishing historical texts. She also served as a volunteer at the H. Lee White Marine Museum.

The Oswego Public Library Board of Trustees recently awarded emerita status to Mrs. Cali for her many years of service and dedication to the library in which she served in a variety of capacities to include president. She served on the board from 2000-2009. Mrs. Cali was instrumental in leading the organization during the Building Renovation and Expansion Project.

Calling hours were held at the Dain-Cullinan Funeral Home.

Funeral services were held at Saint Stephen the King Catholic Church, Oswego.