Tag Archives: Carolee Sadie Ashby

Carolee Ashby’s family to appeal to U.S. Attorney’s office

by Carol Thompson

The family of Carolee Sadie Ashby are hoping the U.S. Attorney’s office will give them an audience to hear their story and determine if criminal charges can be filed against the person who confessed to the hit-and-run death of the four-year-old.

Carolee’s mother, Marlene Ashby, along with family members, met with a private attorney Wednesday to learn their options.

It’s hard for the family to accept that there will be no repercussions for 63-year-old Douglas Parkhurst, who recently confessed to police to hitting Carolee on Halloween night in 1968 as she crossed South Second Street in Fulton with her sister Darlene.

The family learned that there could be an option for criminal charges through the U.S. Attorney’s office. Their lawyer discussed a possible loophole in the law, although the family said they were instructed not to speak about it.

The family is also having the laws of 1968 thoroughly researched. Police told the family that Parkhurst can only be charged with laws that were on the books at that time and that those that were are long past the statue of limitations. They are searching to determine if there were any laws in 1968 that could be applied today.

Parkhurst’s confession led police to the car that hit Carolee. It had been hidden behind a house in the Town of New Haven area, covered with brush.

At the time Carolee was hit, with no knowledge of the driver’s identity, the family paid for Carolee’s burial expenses, in part with a partial payment received from their own insurance company.

Because the case was open, the Ashby’s insurance would not pay in full.

With the case now closed, the Ashby’s may now be eligible to collect the money that the insurance company wouldn’t pay in 1968.

To read the rest of the article, pick up a copy of The Valley News. You can subscribe by calling 598-6397 or click on the link on our home page.

Carolee Ashby’s family reacts to confession of hit-and-run driver

by Carol Thompson

The cold case that has touched the community was solved with the confession of the driver who hit Carolee Sadie Ashby and drove away as she lay dying in the road on Halloween night in 1968.

For the family, the confession of 62-year-old Douglas Parkhurst does little to ease the pain of losing Carolee.

“If he apologized to me and I don’t even know how I would handle it,” Carolee’s mother Marlene Ashby said Wednesday.

Earlier that day, police issued a press release with the details of the accident as well as the identity of the driver.

For the Ashby family, the confession did not bring conclusion to 44 years of suffering — and the family isn’t convinced they know the entire story.

Parkhurst’s confession came following a Facebook post made by former Fulton Police Lieutenant Russ Johnson, who made an appeal for anyone with information to come forward. That led to a former Fulton resident, now living in Florida, to make contact and tell of how Parkhurst’s mother had asked her to provide an alibi for her son.

The family is angered that Parkhurst waited 44 years to confess and they believe he would have remained silent had the witness not come forward.

“If he’s done it (remained silent) for 44 years, I believe he would have went the rest of his life without coming forward,” said Darlene Ashby McCann, who was with Carolee the night she was struck and killed.

McCann, Carolee and a cousin were walking to the store to buy birthday candles for McCann’s birthday cake. The trio was on their way back home when the driver struck Carolee as she and McCann were crossing the street. The cousin had already crossed.

“It’s very cowardly,” McCann said of Parkhurst’s silence.

Ashby agreed. “He’s not 99 percent a coward — he’s 100 percent a coward,” she said, referring to what she said the police had told her about Parkhurst giving a 99.9-percent confession.

Frank McCann, son of Darlene McCann, said he wasn’t born when Carolee was killed, but he does know the suffering the family has endured over the years. He noted the holidays, especially his mother’s birthday, have been difficult.

“He’s taken away from the grandchildren everything he’s been able to enjoy,” he said.

Another grandchild, Amy Kush, said, “I’m happy we now know who was responsible but I feel there is still the unanswered question of why so many people hid this.”

She added, “It’s the beginning of the end of closure.”

To read the rest of the article, pick up a copy of The Valley News. You can subscribe by calling 598-6397 or click on the link on our home page.