All posts by admin

Enjoying the ball pit at Little Lukes

Gregory Galutz and Emma Seiter enjoy some time in the baby ball pit at Little Lukes Preschool and Childcare Center in Fulton. Little Lukes Preschool and Childcare Center combines education and fun in a stimulating, creative and supportive environment. The site is accepting applications. Call 887-5250 for information.
Gregory Galutz and Emma Seiter enjoy some time in the baby ball pit at Little Lukes Preschool and Childcare Center in Fulton. Little Lukes Preschool and Childcare Center combines education and fun in a stimulating, creative and supportive environment. The site is accepting applications. Call 887-5250 for information.

Chiropractors support United Way

Area chiropractors raised $2,240 in support of the United Way of Greater Oswego County during their Patient Appreciation Day fundraiser. From left are: Dr. Brent Tallents, Dr. Beth DuBois, Dr. Franklin Perkins II, Dr. Casey McCaffery, Dr. Richard Tesoriero, Dr. Anthony Licatese, Dr. Dustin Wharendorf, and Dr. Jason Cunningham. Absent from the photo are participating chiropractors: Dr. Richard Falanga, Dr. Ryan Barker, and Dr. Michael Soucy.
Area chiropractors raised $2,240 in support of the United Way of Greater Oswego County during their Patient Appreciation Day fundraiser. From left are: Dr. Brent Tallents, Dr. Beth DuBois, Dr. Franklin Perkins II, Dr. Casey McCaffery, Dr. Richard Tesoriero, Dr. Anthony Licatese, Dr. Dustin Wharendorf, and Dr. Jason Cunningham. Absent from the photo are participating chiropractors: Dr. Richard Falanga, Dr. Ryan Barker, and Dr. Michael Soucy.

Chiropractors throughout Oswego County raised $2,240 in support of the United Way of Greater Oswego County during their Patient Appreciation Day fundraiser. Continue reading

Historical Fulton: The Fulton Fire Department

The Fulton Fire Department was organized April 16,1857, although there were small volunteer groups of firefighters when the place was just a village dating back to 1838. The first steam engine was bought in 1866 and the second in 1870. This photo shows a 1900 “steam pumper.” The firefighters would draw water from the canal or river and use it to fight fires. These steam pumper were drawn by horses. The department became a paid department in 1905 along with the first salaried fire chief, assistant and eight full-time firefighters and 15 more who were being trained and on call. Also in that same time period the first series of fire hydrants were installed throughout the city eliminating the need of the canal/river in some instances. Fulton got its first fire “truck” in 1916. There was no roof and no windshield, so getting to fires in the rain or snow was quite the challenge. In 1981, the department joined the computer age and got its first computer. The paid department celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2005. Photo courtesy of fultonhistory.com
The Fulton Fire Department was organized April 16,1857, although there were small volunteer groups of firefighters when the place was just a village dating back to 1838. The first steam engine was bought in 1866 and the second in 1870. This photo shows a 1900 “steam pumper.” The firefighters would draw water from the canal or river and use it to fight fires. These steam pumper were drawn by horses. The department became a paid department in 1905 along with the first salaried fire chief, assistant and eight full-time firefighters and 15 more who were being trained and on call. Also in that same time period the first series of fire hydrants were installed throughout the city eliminating the need of the canal/river in some instances. Fulton got its first fire “truck” in 1916. There was no roof and no windshield, so getting to fires in the rain or snow was quite the challenge. In 1981, the department joined the computer age and got its first computer. The paid department celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2005.
Photo courtesy of fultonhistory.com

Operation Oswego County touts successes, presents awards

Operation Oswego County held its 62nd annual meeting at the SUNY Oswego Campus Center, Tuesday, June 10.  

Kevin LaMontagne, president of the Operation Oswego County board of directors, welcomed more than 160 representatives of businesses, government, education, labor and other ally organizations to the meeting.  Continue reading

Joseph J. Fauler, Air National Guard veteran, VFW life member

6-14_OBITfaulerJoseph J. Fauler, 67, of Fulton, went Home Tuesday after a brief illness.  

Joe had lived in the Fulton area since 1953 and had graduated from Oswego Catholic High.  

He retired from the NY Air National Guard at Hancock Field in 2007 after more than 28 years of military service. He had also worked at Fuccillo Kia, Oswego Industries and Birdseye Foods.  

Joe loved the time he could spend on his family’s land and the serenity it provided.  

His faith led him to Believer’s Chapel of Fulton where he was heavily involved with the food pantry and allowed him to serve his community in many ways.  

Joe was a life member of V.F.W. Post 569, Fulton and participated in its patriotic holiday ceremonies.  

He was predeceased by his sister, Mary Rose Bradley.

Joe is survived by his wife of 27 years, the former Bonnie Blaedon; two step-sons, Kenneth E. and Eric N. (Jenny Miller) Gustafson; foster-daughter, Saleta (Lackey) Morgan; his parents, Raymond and Mary Schmelzer Fauler; brothers, Raymond, Francis (Mary Jo Lamb), Paul Fauler; six grandchildren; several nieces and nephews.  

Calling hours were Friday with a service to immediately follow at Believer’s Chapel of Fulton, 614 S. Fourth St., Fulton (across from McDonald’s). 

Contributions may be made to Pregnancy Care Center of Oswego County, P.O. Box 5444, Oswego, 13126 or Oswego County Humane Society, 265 W. First St., Oswego, 13126.  

Arrangements are in the care of Foster Funeral Home, Fulton.

Ada Belle Gagliardo, Sealright retiree, bowler, card player


6-14_OBITgagliardoAda Belle Gagliardo, 87, of Hannibal passed away Monday June 9 at Oswego Hospital.  

Born in Fulton, she was a life resident of the Hannibal–Fulton area. Ada retired from Sealright Co., Fulton in 1988 after 38 years. 

She was a member of Prior Stock American Legion Post 1552, Hannibal. 

Ada was an avid bowler, card player and Bingo aficionado. 

She was predeceased by her husband, Joseph J. Gagliardo, who died in 1995 and sister, Eleanor Martin. 

Surviving are two daughters, Janis M. (Richard) Stauring of Hannibal and Margaret L. Gagliardo of Cincinnati, Ohio; four sons, Joseph J. Gagliardo, Jr. of Liverpool, Patrick (Karen) Parker of Montana, Kevin Parker of Hannibal and Donald (Diane) Parker of Texas; 11 grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; brother, Richard Parker of Eaton, Ohio; several nieces and nephews. 

A graveside service was at 11 a.m. Friday at Fairdale Rural Cemetery, County Route 3, Hannibal. Calling hours were Thursday at Foster Funeral Home, 837 Cayuga St., Hannibal. 

Contributions may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association, 441 W. Kirkpatrick St., Syracuse 13204.

Glenn W. Clark, veteran, teacher, former Fulton superintendent

Glenn W. Clark, 93, passed away June 9, 2014 in New Bern, North Carolina, after a short illness.  

A native of Potsdam, NY, Mr. Clark received a B.A. from SUNY Albany in 1941, and an M.A. in Educational Administration from St. Lawrence University in 1948.  

He served in the U.S. Army in Europe during World War II and in the Korean conflict, and was awarded five Battle Stars and the Bronze Star during World War II, and the Army Commendation Medal for his service in Korea.  

In 1986, he received the Conspicuous Service Cross, New York State’s highest military award. Mr. Clark was named a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor by the President of France in 2009. 

Mr. Clark had a long professional career as a teacher and school administrator in Upstate New York.  

He taught in Conifer and Chateaugay, NY, and served as high school principal in Conifer, Waddington and Fulton, NY.  

He was superintendent of schools in Fulton, NY from 1959 until his retirement in 1976. 

During his tenure as superintendent in Fulton, Mr. Clark’s accomplishments included creating the consolidated school district, and the construction of G. Ray Bodley High School and Volney School, and an addition to Lanigan Elementary School.  

After retirement from the Fulton School District in 1976, he served as interim superintendent of schools at North Syracuse, NY Central School, Fayetteville-Manlius Central School and Fabius-Pompey Central School.  

Mr. Clark was also superintendent representative to the Executive Committee of New York State Public High School Athletic Association and its central committee, and president of the Pupil Benefits Plan, Inc. 

After his retirement, Mr. Clark served the retired teacher community at all levels:  he was president of the New York State Retired Teachers Association and served as State Vice President for Federal Legislation of NYSRTA for three years.  

In 1995 he was awarded the association’s Certificate of Recognition for his contributions. 

Active in the Fulton community, Mr. Clark was an emeritus trustee of the Fulton Savings Bank, and board member of the Fulton Public Library, the Greater Fulton United Way, the Oswego Country Historical Society and Fulton Friends of History. 

In 2008, Mr. Clark moved to Bishop’s Commons, Oswego, NY, where he was active in that retirement community and served as president of the Resident Council.  

In 2012, he moved to Croatan Village in New Bern, NC, where he continued to enjoy life with his community and family. 

He was preceded in death by his beloved wife of 67 years, Eleanor.  

He is survived by a son, Bruce N. Clark and daughter-in-law Barbara of New Bern, NC and a daughter, Susan Miller, of Morristown, NJ.

He is also survived by two grandchildren, Tyler Clark (Gillian) of Midlothian, VA and Amanda Champey (Daniel) of New Bern, NC and four great-grandchildren, Declan, Brycen, Carter and Anna Champey. 

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Friends of History, 177 S. First St., Fulton, NY 13069.  

Calling hours will be held July 8, 2014 at the Foster Funeral Home, 910 Fay Street, Fulton, NY, from 2 to 4 p.m. followed by a memorial service.

Breakfast, lunch, dinner

Little Utica United Methodist Church will host a free senior luncheon in the church parlor from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 11.

This will be an opportunity for community members age 55 and older to have lunch and socialize with their neighbors. 

The menu will include hot dogs, hamburgers and other picnic fare. A variety of desserts along with, punch, milk, tea and coffee will be served.

Little Utica United Methodist Church is located on Lamson Road, heading west off Route 48, just past the intersection of Lamson Road and East Mud Lake Road. 

For more information, call the church at 315-678-2270 or visit the church’s website at littleuticaumc.org or their Facebook page. Continue reading