The Hunter Arms Co. was one of the most successful companies ever in Fulton. the company, which made double barrel hammer shotguns, began in 1889 and was in production until 1950. It merged with the L.C. Smith Gun Co. in the late 1890s and became known at Hunter Arms/L.C. Smith. Eventually, the Hunter Arms portion of the company moved to Tennessee while L.C. Smith stayed in Fulton. According to information from the Friends of History, the guns made here in Fulton were known by the elite in the shooting world. People could order the guns made any way they wanted and many became real works of art. One recently sold at auction for $202,000. John Phillip Sousa of march fame ordered one and it was so beautiful his wife had it frame to put on the wall and ha had to order another one for shooting. The L.C. Smith Collectors Association will gather for the fourth annual Hunter Arms weekend Aug. 22 and 23 in Fulton. This is a rare opportunity to not just see but to observe some of these guns made in Fulton used for trap, skeet and 5 stand competitions. Samples of various guns will be on display at the Pratt House at 177 S. First St., Fulton and shooters will compete in skeet, tap and 5-stand events Aug. 23 at the Pathfinder Fish and Game Club on Route 57. All events both days are open to the public.
Photo courtesy of fultonhistory.com