Historical Fulton, N.Y.: Oswego County Medical Society

This photo shows a gathering from the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Oswego County Medical Society. A good-looking collection of doctors, a couple of nurses and even a dog posed for the photo. According to the 1895 Landmark’s Book of Oswego County, “laws then governing the admission and practice of physicians were substantially worthless; but in 1806 the state Legislature passed an act repealing former laws applying to this profession, and authorizing a general State Medical Society and County Societies. Under the provisions of this act, the Medical Society of the County of Oswego was organized June 9, 1821, at the school-house in Oswego village, with Benjamin Coe in the chair, and Luther Cowan, secretary.” The book states early records of this society were twice destroyed by fire, leaving little record of one of the oldest organizations in the county. Among its original members were Anson Fay and Luther Cowan, of Volney; Allen Andrews, of Pulaski; Stephen F. Kinney, of New Haven; Sardius Brewster, of Mexico; Benjamin Coe, of Oswego; J. Gurnsey, Dr. Gridley and possible others. The first officers of the society were Benjamin Coe, president; Stephen F. Kinney, vice president; Luther Cowan, secretary; Anson Fay, treasurer; J. Gurnsey, Luther Cowan, and Anson Fay, censors.  The second meeting was held at the house of Ezra May on the first Tuesday in June, 1822. Today, the county still has its own medical society, but it is managed by a combined group based in New Hartford, Oneida County, called the Medical Society of the Counties of Oneida, Herkimer, Madison, Chenango, Oswego, Cayuga and St. Lawrence. There are 39 members of the Oswego County society. Photo courtesy fultonhistory.com
This photo shows a gathering from the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Oswego County Medical Society. A good-looking collection of doctors, a couple of nurses and even a dog posed for the photo. According to the 1895 Landmark’s Book of Oswego County, “laws then governing the admission and practice of physicians were substantially worthless; but in 1806 the state Legislature passed an act repealing former laws applying to this profession, and authorizing a general State Medical Society and County Societies. Under the provisions of this act, the Medical Society of the County of Oswego was organized June 9, 1821, at the school-house in Oswego village, with Benjamin Coe in the chair, and Luther Cowan, secretary.” The book states early records of this society were twice destroyed by fire, leaving little record of one of the oldest organizations in the county. Among its original members were Anson Fay and Luther Cowan, of Volney; Allen Andrews, of Pulaski; Stephen F. Kinney, of New Haven; Sardius Brewster, of Mexico; Benjamin Coe, of Oswego; J. Gurnsey, Dr. Gridley and possible others. The first officers of the society were Benjamin Coe, president; Stephen F. Kinney, vice president; Luther Cowan, secretary; Anson Fay, treasurer; J. Gurnsey, Luther Cowan, and Anson Fay, censors. The second meeting was held at the house of Ezra May on the first Tuesday in June, 1822. Today, the county still has its own medical society, but it is managed by a combined group based in New Hartford, Oneida County, called the Medical Society of the Counties of Oneida, Herkimer, Madison, Chenango, Oswego, Cayuga and St. Lawrence. There are 39 members of the Oswego County society.
Photo courtesy fultonhistory.com
Share this story:
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>