This adorable photo shows the former Falley Seminary sometime in the 1890s. According to research done by the Friends of History at the Pratt House in Fulton, the school opened in 1836 as Fulton Female Seminary and was run by the Presbyterian Church. In 1842, it allowed boys to attend and changed its name to Fulton Academy. In 1849, the Presbyterians sold it so the Methodists and it was renamed Falley Seminary after a well-to-do Fultonian, George Falley. He gave the Methodists $4,000 to buy the building. The school was at its height of glory in the 1860s. In 1869, a man named Mr. Gilmour became the principal there and remained until the school closed in 1883. His wife, Mrs. Gilmour, lived there until she died in 1901. The building was torn down in 1922. The seminar, a boarding school, was on the site of the present Education Center on Fourth Street. This photo shows some children putting on a mock wedding with the old seminary building as a backdrop.
Photo courtesy of fultonhistory.com