The Hannibal United Methodist Church is celebrating the 175th Anniversary.
Under the leadership of David Peckham, the Methodist Church of Hannibal was organized Feb. 26, 1839.
The Certificate of Organization was filed in the Oswego County Clerk’s office March 13, 1839 with 25 charter members.
In 1841 a brick church edifice was erected, which today is the back of the current church building. In 1864, to accommodate the increase in membership, one third of the church building was removed and a new building was added to the front of the original building.
Over the years, there have been many, many changes and improvements.
An anniversary committee consisting of Wendell Blanchard, Barbara Gifford, Louise Kellogg, Gloria Kempston, Liz George, Judy Tyler, Gloria Simmons and Richard Palen has been formed to work on future activities.
The first event will be a Birthday/Anniversary Celebration to be held March 2 following the 11 a.m. worship service. All are welcome.