The Fulton Art Association held its 40th annual art show and competition in May at the Fulton Municipal Building.
Twenty-four artists from Fulton, Oswego, Baldwinsville, Syracuse and Mexico participated in the show.
The show displayed 90 entries this year in 11 medium categories: Acrylics, Digital Photography, Drawing A, B, and C, Computer Graphic Art, Painting Mixed Media, Oils, 3-D, Watercolor, and the special category of “Dogs,” according to President, Kathy Mihalek.
Charlotte Arcadi, an instructor for Cayuga Community College and retired art teacher for Phoenix Central School District was the judge for this year’s show. All prizes awarded are the discretion of the judge.
Alex McCombie of Fulton won Best of Show with his digital photo, “Morning Graze.”
Awards in each of the medium categories were as follows:
• Acrylics: First place, Jody Pike of Baldwinsville for “Dorothy”; second place (tie) Barb Erwin for “A Beautiful Place” and Tim Ames for “Winter Home.” Honorable Mentions were given to Barb Erwin for “Eruption,” “Sunset” and “Who Me?”
• Computer Graphic Art: First place to Lisa Davis of Fulton for “Spring Wildflowers” and second place for “Fairy Congregation.”
• Digital Photography: First place, Alex McCombie of Fulton for “Walker.” Second place (tie) went to Deborah Engelke of Oswego for “Gucci Blues #1” and Ellen Landphere of Mexico for “Essence of Valor.” Honorable Mentions were awarded to Deborah Engelke for “Small Boat in Deep Water” and Ellen Landphere for “Sweet Rewards.”
• Drawing A (pencil, charcoal): First place, Jody Pike of Baldwinsville for “Peony Festival.” Second place went to Margaret Leach of Fulton for “Willow” and Honorable Mentions went to Kathryn Mihalek of Fulton for “Coffee Break” and Margaret Rusaw for A Calm Day.
• Drawing B (colored pencil/Prismacolor): First place to Margaret Rusaw of Fulton for “The Farm.” Second place (tie) went to Margaret Leach of Oswego for “Ginger” and “Two Tanagers.” Honorable Mentions went to Margaret Leach for “One Swan Swimming” and Kathryn Mihalek of Fulton for “Horse Heaven.”
Drawing C (pen/ink): First place to Bonnie McClellan of Fulton for “In The Tree.”
Oils: First place to Jeremy Thurlow of Fulton for “Flowers on the Pond” and second place to Nick Iamaio of Oswego for “Panoramic View” and Jeremy Thurlow for “Serenity.” Honorable Mentions went to Susan Lane of Fulton for “Iris,” Bonnie McClellan of Fulton for “Mountain Serenity” and “Swan Lake At Night.”
• Painting Mixed Media: First place was awarded to Michelle Southgate of Oswego for “Drydock.” Second place went to Virginia Cook of Fulton for “Inspiration” and Rhoda Cunningham of Oswego for “Rending the Veil.” Honorable Mentions went to Rose Besch of Oswego for “Flotsam and Jetsam” and Virginia Cook for “Season Worker from Mexico – No Green Card.”
• 3-D: First place, Jeffrey Rusaw of Fulton for “Free Bird” and second places to David Salvetti of Fulton for “Rustic End Table” and “Rolling Pin – French Style” as well as an Honorable Mention for “Rustic Stool.”
• Watercolor: First place, Theresa Carbone of Oswego for Dream Walk. Second place went to Rose Besch of Oswego for “On the Road Again” and Robert Canfield of Oswego for “104A North Scene.” Honorable Mentions went to Theresa Carbone for “Harvest Time” and “Kissed By the Rain” and Rhoda Cunningham of Oswego for “Ascent to the Embryo.”
• 2013 Special Category – Dogs: First place was awarded to Jeremy Thurlow of Syracuse for “Family.” Second place went to Tim Ames of Oswego for “My Best Friend” and Peggy Boyd of Baldwinsville for “Maddy.” Honorable Mention was awarded to Nick Iamaio of Oswego for “Hofmann.”
The raffle winners of artwork donated by FAA artists were also announced.
“Moments of the Sea” by Kathryn Mihalek was won by Jody Pike. “Ready for Work” by Rhoda Cunningham was won by Virginia Cook. “Split Rock” by Kathryn Mihalek was won by James Fredette.
“Four Flowers” by Lisa Davis was won by Sarah Dahar. “Light on the Point” by Kathryn Mihalek was won by Ruth Barry.
“Happy in Haiti” by Rhoda Cunningham was won by Peggy Boyd. “Deer” by Margaret Rusaw was won by Sarah Dahar. “Owl” by Margaret Rusaw was won by Anola Gowin. “Upon a Rivers Bend” by Bonnie McClellan was won by Anola Gowin. “Spring Blossoms” by Janet Coons was won by Mark Davis.