Charles and Fanny Knapp, of Fulton celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary August 23, 2012. They were married at the First Presbyterian Church in Fulton in 1947.
They met in 1942 at the State Theater in Fulton, where Charles was head usher. Fanny (Baker) was a Girl Scout selling Defense Stamps in the lobby.
Graduating in 1943, Charles joined the Navy and trained as an electrician. Fanny graduated in 1945 and worked as a telephone operator. They kept in touch during WW II and became engaged on Fanny’s 18th birthday. The Knapps purchased a small home in Fulton after Charles returned from the war, and they were married on August 23, 1947.
Charles worked construction, and Fanny left the Telephone Company in 1949 when the first of their four sons was born.
December 1955, the Knapps purchased Neahtahwanta Farm on Lakeshore Road in Granby. Charles started his own electrical contracting business in 1959, after their fourth son was born, and Fanny started driving school busses and continued for the next 30 years.
The Knapps raised horses and beef cattle on their farm. Charles was a member of the Media Shrine Horse Patrol for many years and Fanny was always a familiar sight riding horses in local parades.
Many elementary school classes made field trips to the farm where the students enjoyed their first ride on a horse. The farm’s palomino stallion “Tony” was very popular with the children.
Charles has been active in the Masonic orders for 50 years and holds the York Cross of Honor. Fanny is a long time member of Eastern Star and is a past queen of the Daughters of the Nile.
Their family includes sons Lance (Polly), Loren (Denise), Mark, and Bruce (Julie), all of Fulton; nine grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.
The couple has always enjoyed going on cruises, attending family gatherings and parties.