The Fulton Art Association held its 39th annual art show and competition in May at the Fulton Municipal Building.
Twenty-nine artists from Fulton, Oswego, Baldwinsville, Hannibal and Mexico participated in the show.
The show displayed 117 entries this year in 13 medium categories – Acrylics, Digital Photography, Drawing A, B, C and D, Computer Graphic Art, Printmaking, Painting Mixed Media, Oils, Three-D, Watercolor, and the Special Category – Still Life, according to President Kathy Mihalek.
William DeMott, an art instructor for Cayuga Community College (Fulton), SUNY Oswego, and Monroe Community College in Rochester was the judge for this year’s show.
Alex McCombie of Fulton won Best of Show with his digital photo, “Theatre of the Macabre.”
Awards in each of the medium categories were as follows:
• Acrylics: First place — Tim Ames (Oswego) for “Overcast Day in the Coop”; second place — Barb Erwin for “Butterflies” and Edwin Schuss for “Tropical Hideaway.” Honorable Mentions were given to Margaret Rusaw for “Brian’s Valley” and Mark Humphrey for “Cherries & Bag.”
• Computer Graphic Art: First place to Lisa Davis (Fulton) for “Sunflower Dancer.”
• Digital Photography: First place to Alex McCombie (Fulton) for “Bridging Time” and second place to Alex McCombie for “One Chair – No Waiting” and Steven Tryon (Mexico) for “The Gentle Gesture of Morning.” Honorable Mentions were awarded to Lisa Davis (Fulton) for “Mother’s Day Fuchsia” and “Of Bird or Angel,” Ellen Landphere (Mexico) for “Flight,” and Steven Tryon for “Passing By On a Beautiful Day” and “Gathering in Praise.”
• Drawing A (pencil, charcoal): First place to Diane Shumway (Mexico) for “Xzavier” and second place to Edwin Schuss (Oswego) for “Guardian Angel.” Honorable Mention to Margaret Leach (Oswego) for “Mother and Daughter.”
• Drawing B (colored pencil and Prismacolor): First place to Margaret Leach (Oswego) for “Quarter Horse” and second place to Edwin Schuss (Oswego) for “Lost Lighthouse.” Honorable Mention to Pat Hall (Oswego) for “Escape.”
• Oils: First place to Jeremy Thurlow (Fulton) for “Two of a Kind” and second place to Nick Iamaio (Oswego) for “Steep Clift Falls.”
• Painting Mixed Media: First place to Rhoda Cunningham (Oswego) for “The Heavens Declare God’s Glory,” second place for “Angels of Sodom,” and Honorable Mention for “Butterfly Tree. An Honorable Mention was also awarded to Margaret Rusaw (Fulton) for “Purple Passion.”
• Printmaking: Honorable Mention to Michele Southgate (Oswego) for “Marbled.”
• 3 Dimensional: First place to David Salvetti (Fulton) for “Canoe Paddle” and an Honorable Mention for “Spinning Chair.”
• Watercolor: First place to Barb Erwin (Oswego) for “Poppies” and second place to Barb Erwin for “Clematis Vine” and Mark Humphrey for “Oswego City Hall.” Honorable Mentions were awarded to Janie Martin for “Old Logging Truck,” “Steel Guitar,” and “Key West Rooster.”
• 2011 Special Category – Still Life: First place was awarded to Edwin Schuss (Oswego) for “Wizard’s Table” and second place to Mark Humphrey (Oswego) for “Apple and Pears” and Barb Erwin (Oswego) for “Apples.” Honorable Mention was awarded to Lisa Davis (Fulton) for “Seed Pods & Grasses.”