Buc Bulletin wins numerous awards, student paper named best in state

There was a celebration as the Oswego High School Buccaneer Bulletin earned the best high school news paper from the New York Press Association. From left are co-editors of the 2010-2011 Buc Bulletin Jasmine Davis and Christina Buckingham, OHS grad Monek Cullen, Taylor Falls, Mackenzie Oatman, Chloe Martin, Carlie Morley and Madison Rhoades.

The New York Press Association honored the Oswego High School Buccaneer Bulletin as the 2011 Best High School Newspaper in the state.

The “Celebrating Newspaper in Excellence Awards” were presented to scholastic publications from across the state.

The Oswego High School Buccaneer Bulletin walked away with top honors in the New York Press Association Better High School Newspaper contest. The Buc Bulletin earned 50 points in the contest including first place awards for “Design” and “Photographer.” The paper also earned second place for the best sports stories.

According to the NYPA, “The judges praised the newspaper’s illustrations and well-cropped photos-nice job!”

In the area of “design,” the Buc Bulletin co-editors Jasmine Davis and Christina Buckingham, 2011 grads, presented, according to the judges, “Lovely large front page photo with perspective. There were creative spreads” and the publication “used fewer Google images and more original art.”

In the area of photography, Monek Cullen, another 2011 grad, earned first place for “photography”. Judges noted that there was “creative illustration to compliment eating disorder story.”

It was also noted there was a “nice use of humor and well cropped photos.”

Sports writer Carlie Morley was also recognized as she earned second place in the “Best Sports Story” category.

Share this story:
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Email