New York State’s Operation Hang Up deemed a success

by Carol Thompson

The second Operation Hang Up campaign, spearheaded by Governor Andrew Cuomo to target distracted drivers, has been deemed a success.

“Operation Hang Up is designed to send a strong message to motorists across New York State that driving and using a hand-held device simply do not mix,” Cuomo said. “We hear too many heartbreaking stories about how distracted driving leads to tragic consequences, and we must do everything in our power to ensure more lives are not unnecessarily lost because someone took their eyes off the road to use a phone.”

The campaign began April 23 and concluded Sunday. In the first months of 2012, more than 65,000 motorists statewide have been ticketed for using an electronic device while driving.

Oswego County Sheriff Reuel “Moe” Todd said last week that his department did not make a big push during the campaign. “If we see them, we write them,” he said.

He did not have statistics readily available as to how many cell phone related tickets his department has issued during the campaign.

According to statistics provided by the state, there have been 99 tickets issued this year countywide for using a handheld device while driving.

To read the rest of the story, pick up a copy of The Valley News

Share this story:
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Email